Signup to newsletter
 

General info

Pag, ChorvatskoPag is the largest city and port on the island of the same name. It is also the tourist and cultural center of the island. Pag has about 2 500 inhabitants. The city lies on the southeast coast of the Pag Gulf, which verge in the shallow salt lake. Gulf split up the city of Pag in two parts - the historical center and new section of the city. Today's city of Pag was built about 1 km from the original locality. The inhabitants of Pag are most engaged in rearing sheep, agriculture, salt production, fishing and tourism. The Pag city has a spa character - in its vicinity abound the mud with medicinal effects.

History and historical monuments

Pag, ChorvatskoAt the end of the Middle Ages the city was very damaged during the battle with Zadar. Its residents have decided to not renew old city, but to build a new city. In 1443 Juraj Dalmatinac (greatest Mediteran sculptor and builder) began to build the city. Pag is one of the few planned towns biulded in Dalmatia. Originally, the city began to build in the Gothic style, but over time accumulate Renaissance elements.

 

Important buildings, which Dalmatinac built include Prince's Palace (Knežev Dvor) on the main square. The dominant feature of the square (Trg Kralja Krešimira) is the Church of the Assumption of Our Lady.

 

Another important monument is the church of St. Margareth, which belongs to the Benedictine monastery. The monastery has an important place in the history of the island, as there was the first girls' school and kindergarten.
 

Just two kilometers from Pag are relics of the old town and there is archaeological prospecting.

 

In July 2009 opened its doors permanent exhibition of the history of salt mining and processing on the island (Stalna izložba solarstva). The xhibition is located in one of nine local salt warehouses, dating from the 17th to 19 century. Stone building of salt warehouses (local call them magazini soli) is close to the municipal beach and the bridge leading into the old town. The exhibition occupies approximately 4,000 sqm and is currently protected monument. The exposition is located in a warehouse called Ferdinand, in a building built in 1629 on the site of the former St.. Peter Abbey.

 

For the Pag city is also typical Pag lace, which was declared as a protected cultural monument. The tradition goes back to its production to 16th century.

 

And we must not forget the Pag cheese production (Paški sir), which is known not only in Croatia but also throughout Europe. The cheese is produced using the same technology as was used by Old Liburnian already 3000 years ago.

 

More info on www.paskasirana.hr